Friday, July 30, 2010

True Poverty is the Lack of Love

There's a woman named Jesca who lives in my compound. She's 28 and University educated. She is a social worker at the local sub-county.
I came home from school one day earlier last week and she asked me to come with her on some field work. On the way over she explained to me the situation of the 3 children we were going to visit. Their mother had many children with different fathers (None of the fathers stuck around). The mother died two years ago. Some fathers came to get their own children leaving 3 boys behind; an 8 year old (Simon Peter), a 10 year old (Robert) and a 14 year old (Simon Peter)....yes she gave two of her children the same name. These children had no where to go and the mother's family did not want them because of a dispute in the past with the mother. They were starving, eating plants. They wandered into Kapelebyong about a year ago and took shelter in an abandonded hut (since peace, people have been moving back to their villages). They became beggers of their neighbors until the 14 year old starting making charcol and selling it. (Of course I now buy my charcol from him).
As Jesca and I continued walking farther and farther into the bush, the grass was growing taller than me and grasshoppers were scattering everywhere.
We finally arrived and I saw the condition of their hut....about collapse. All three were very shy and quiet. The youngest, Peter, spoke for all of them with a small voice.
Their clothes were so dirty (no soap) and barely covered their "special areas". In fact, the two young ones were sent home from school because their clothes were so dirty and they hadn't bathed. Robert wouldn't speak at all or even smile. I wondered if he was sick (later to find out he has typhoid which we're treating now). I asked them to come over for dinner the next night to talk with me...and I also took their school clothes to wash them...I mean, they are my students (Both P.1, 1st grade).
The next night Simon (14years) was staring out the door at the rain in Esther's room as we were cooking; quiet, maybe nervous. Jesca came in and he began their story speaking in Ateso.
How do we begin to provide for children in this extreme condition; no orphanges around,no NGO's.
Ojada, Esther's 10 year old son who's been fighting cancer the past 2 years, walked in with one of his shirts and gave it to the boys; Dacus gave them washing soap; Scovia gave them another shirt. I almost started crying watching the spirit of giving. The poor giving to the poor.
I told the headmaster of the primary school of their situation. Schools get more aide the more orphans they have.
I'm going to provide a goat for them. Goats produce quickly and can provide a lot for them.
Everyday life in Uganda.....
Scovia's grandmother got her a bag for school but not one for Ojada (she's not the most loving woman). Ojada saw it and said (at 10 years old), "I don't mind if she didn't get one for me, my God will provide for me."
"It is not true that God wants to teach us something in our trials: through every cloud He brings, He wants us to unclean something. His purpose in the cloud is to simplify our belief until our relationship to Him is exactly that of a child..." -Oswald

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Amelia! What a story! Incredible what these kids endure compared with what we take for granted. Thank you so much for what you do there. God bless you.
    When I come in November I hope to spend some one-on-one time with a few promising but at-risk students to help them catch up, but in Oditel. These kids are in KP, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is truly beautiful. i am so proud of you, amelia. i have experienced this so much in Zambia also and i completely know what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. The passage by Oswald Chambers was my devo two days ago. I like your interpretation of it. Thank you. Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sitting with shane and our uncle on a lake in the georgian mountains. I am reading your blog out loud trying not to reveal the tears and emotion I experience through your words. Thank you Amelia for your devotion and sacrifice. Thank you that you are the eyes, the feet and the voice for these people. Tonight as we were sitting at the dinner table I said, "People in Africa have to travel hours to drink a glass of dirty water and I pour out my last sip into the sink, taking for granted what it would mean to be without." You are seeing it in your face what it means to be "hungry" or "thirsty" as I scrape my uneaten dinner into the garbage. I know that this is a gift we have and that someday it can be taken away from me because there is nothing I do to deserve it in the first place. Oh amelia. I just long to be a pilgram. I love you and pray I know you forever.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love every post and every story. I miss you all and UG so much. My heart and prayers are there with you, all the time! This reminds me of one of my favorite Mother T quotes "If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing stuff Amelia. It's so frustrating that I can't just send what ever they need. At least they have you! Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete