Friday, July 2, 2010

Sounds in the night...

Where do I being? If you and I were sitting together one on one, I would tell you so many stories…but as for now…I must condense.

Almost everyone in my village has typhoid….and the Ugandan government could care less about cleaning the water. Even the teachers, doctors and nurses have it. Baby Amelia has been fighting it all week.

A local soldier was shot and killed by a Karamajong rebel last weekend about 20km away from me. His family lives next to me. I stood there watching his mother, wife and brother wailing, convulsing, and crying thick tears for the loss of their loved one. I couldn’t help but cry with them…watching as his new born baby screamed. It’s rare to watch a grown Ugandan man cry. One of his brothers is a student of mine. My male students always come of as so strong….but he just laid there on the ground in tears. That was just the second day of me being back in Kapelebyong.

I’ve been working in the hospital assisting in births. I stood next to a woman who was in labor for two days…only to watch her give birth to a still born. The mother was bleeding internally. The baby laid there lifeless…a really human baby…with no movement….a baby girl. The mother just laid there crying…9 months…and nothing. In this culture, the family was ashamed of the mother and left her at the hospital by herself disappointed in her…as if she had control of the situation. I just sat next to her, crying with her and praying over her…lucky enough, she is still alive and recovering.

There’s an orchestra that performs in the village at night. The mosquitoes humming outside my net preying for dinner, crickets and their violins in my walls, the frogs boasting their deep croaks; then the roosters start crowing around 4 a.m….far before sunrise (stupid birds), the calming coo of the white dove, the cows grunting as the herder awakes them to graze…the babies crying because their mother’s have awoken them to a cold bath…locals greeting, “yoga a to porauch” (good morning). In 2007, the sound of the rooster at 4 a.m. was a calming sound to me. Back then there would be gun shots all through the night. There was even a man shot and killed outside my door. So I’d lay there awake with my heart in my throat fearing being killed. So the roosters crowing meant dawn was near…which meant safety….which meant a few more hours of sleep….

13 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you sweetie, but I wish your experiences could be more positive. I know typhoid is curable with antibiotics, are they available for those in need? Are they not boiling their water? Boil yours!
    Most of the country is looking forward to the July 4 holiday Sunday, most have Monday off and some are taking today to make it a 4 day weekend. Rain yesterday and today...predicted to be 90 next week! Take care sweetheart and we look forward to your save return.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. one more piece of advice...can you get the frogs and the mosquitoes together? you know who will dominate the encounter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you, worried, yet I know you are there for a reason. I cannot even begin to imagine all the emotions you have already been through in your short time there. You are such a strong woman!! Please continue to keep us updated with your words and photos. May God continue to bless you!

    Love you, Cassie
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh. Your words make me "home"sick. Horrors and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not comprehend what you see and experience there (and I am not sure I want to!) so all I know is that all those who you comfort and pray for are VERY lucky. PLEASE keep safe and healthy. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a sad familiar story. So well written. Amelia, how would I send you support if I were led to?

    ReplyDelete
  7. on a more serious note....let's talk about sadness. Only in the last few years of our lives, have we experienced real, very real, sadness. and real, very real, happiness. The crying, and the cackling we've done, my dear friend Amelia, has made up wake up. That pain and sadness, that extremee joy and silliness and laughter, has always been there. I was unaware of such pain in the world before. Now I'm grown up. My eyes are no longer innocent. But I'd rather have this. You'd rather have this--and I know this about you. I'm sorry you have to experience their pain, and I pray that it is not too traumatic for you that you come back a zombie (feeling like a zombie). I pray your heart not only stays alive, but get bigger and deeper. I don't know how, but since Ben died, my heart is bigger. My recognition of his love for me, and even the pain of loosing, has made my heart........bigger. love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amelio,
    You are loved and missed but then again, I always say that. This time I'll be more real, bold and genuine. I'm happy for you. Not for your experiences but because God chooses YOU everytime to deal with these similar situations and That's amazing. I'm sorry for all tears you shed but Im so glad that your there for that family or that woman in the hospital who other wise wouldn't have had anyone. You are being the rock for people that don't have any and no matter how difficult, I think that's absolutely incredible. This may sound cliche but I pray for you out there every single day. Stay strong, like we all know u will, and keep pushing the capacity of your faith and unique dissemination of love.
    Let us know if we can help in any way at all

    Lastly, maybe this will make you laugh ... "THATS NOT MICKY MOUSE, THATS JUST ...........!"

    Love Nick

    ReplyDelete
  9. My heart breaks, yet I am filled with joy knowing you are where God wants you. You are in my prayers.

    Love, Charissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mils, you are a courageous woman of God. I am so proud of your obedience to God and His desires for you. I love you and am praying for you!

    Love you!

    Jennica

    ReplyDelete
  11. stupid birds... i love it. Miss you Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  12. thank you for sharing this journey. You are an amazing example of courage, strength, compassion and love. Praying for you and following along. We support you and love you.

    ReplyDelete