Sunday, July 18, 2010

When will we learn?

I’d be lying if I said I had no fear. I’ve become so comfortable in this place that I forget it’s a war zone. A gun shot here, death of a Ugandan neighbor there; but when there is a death (a murder) of an American you know, one your age at that, it hits closer to home….it becomes real again. It strikes the fear chord in your brain; the one you try to tell, “Perfect faith casts out all fear”…but who has perfect faith?; especially when fear overwhelms.
“When I speak of fear, I mean merely animal fear, the recoil of the organism from its destruction; the smothery feeling; the sense of being a rat in a trap.” –C.S. Lewis
As the bombs struck in Kampala one week ago, killing over 80 Ugandans (educated ones; but should that matter?) and Nate Henn, it reminded me that Uganda is a time bomb; a volcano waiting to erupt. War ends, and then it begins again. Will we ever learn? Those who pick up the sword die by the sword….but so do those who don’t pick up the sword. Why do swords have to exist at all?
All I can do is pray in weakness. Prayers flow from my lips that I don’t even know how to translate. I pray for those trapped in the lies that they are slaves to; lies that killing others and yourself will give you blessings from Allah. All I can do is love my enemies; to wake and thank God for the breath He is giving me. Because no matter what happens here, it is under the will of God…and God forbid I be anywhere else.
“Knowing that the Good Shepherd is watching and protecting me gives me courage to go through the valley of the shadow of death. Even in the presence of my enemies, I can enjoy a rich feast because God is with me. Faith in God leads to can-do boldness and daring action.” –Paul Miller
Pray for the families that have lost their loved ones; for their hearts to turn away from anger towards forgiveness. God, show us how to forgive! Pray for their deep sorrow; knowing they can no longer kiss the lips of their loved ones…can no longer hear their laughter.
"Islam is a religion of peace and does not condone violence. Those who killed people in the Sunday bombings should be condemned. It is wicked to kill innocent people and Islam does not allow suicide bombing." Sheikh Yahya Ssegganga, leader of Old Kampala Mosque
"Al Shabaab made a big mistake. This is all out war!" President Museveni
"How long, how long must we sing this song....Sunday, Bloody Sunday"-Bono

4 comments:

  1. Amelia, your writings are beautiful - such good reminders of what really matters and how we should live. I love you deeply and am praying for your safety and your work in every place you may end up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for writing and sharing this Amelia. I know it's hard to write sometimes, and I appreciate it, no matter how short or long.

    One day, there will be no more tears or pain. For the first time, I understand that and cannot wait for that. I don't understand it in a way that I can comprehend forgetting pain, but I understand it in a way that I have faith that it does exist. It must exist. It's hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amelia Kirsten and I together have been listening and praying for you. Thanks for this blog post, it helps be to better understand what to pray now. We miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks #Amelia, am touched by your writings and am one of the first graduate students in that community to reach university and from JEM SS, I thank God for you and family. Lots of blessings

    ReplyDelete